Baking at home is always a satisfying experience, if the outcome is good and appreciated by all. This time I have baked these cookies- Pinwheel Cookies! They look cute and taste awesome. A very balanced taste of chocolate and vanilla which seems to be made for each other is this creation. I first saw them as a kid and I was very intrigued as to how one could make it. Definately, I didnot dig it up to the end then. But now, since I have developed a liking for baking, I did and there it is! They take a bit of time to make but are well worth the efforts. Without much ado, here is the recipe!
Makes about 20.
240 gm flour.
1 tsp baking powder.
1/8 tsp salt.
120 gm butter.
150 gm powdered sugar.
1 tsp vanilla essence.
3 tbsp cocoa powder.
½ cup milk to make the dough.
1. Sieve flour, baking powder and salt together. Grease a large baking tray.
2. Cream butter and powdered sugar till light and fluffy. This will take about 3-4 minutes with the help of a electric hand mixer.
3. To this butter and sugar mixture add the flour, vanilla essence. Add milk little by little and mix gently to make stiff but smooth dough.
4. Divide the dough into two parts and blend cocoa powder in one and set the other aside. Use a little milk (2 tsp) to blend the cocoa powder till it is well incorporated and the dough is even brown in colour.
5. Thinly roll out both the halves 1/8’’ thick into equal size pieces. Shape them in equal rectangular pieces by scraping off the excess. Keep them aside and repeat the process till all the dough is used.
6. Place the chocolate piece on top of the white one. Roll the two tightly just as in swiss rolls and allow to stand in a cool place for 20-30 minutes. While the roll is sitting preheat your oven at 175 C for 15 minutes.
7. Cut into ¼’’ thick slices and place them on the prepared baking tray.
8. Bake at 175 C in a preheated oven for about 12-15 minutes till they are done.
9. When done, take them out of the oven, let it stay on the tray for 2 minutes and then transfer the cookies to a cooling rack. When completely cooled put them in your cookie jar.
Sending this off to Champa's Bake Off. Have a nice weekend! Enjoy!!