It is exactly one year today since I started this blog 'The Veggie Hut'. I would like to convey my heartfelt gratitude to all my readers and blogosphere friends for their support and encouragement throughout the year. That is the reason I have reached this milestone today. Thanks a ton friends!
During this journey of a year, I have known so many food enthusiasts from around the globe, have experimented and tried my hands on new recipes, have made some blogosphere buddies and lots more. In a nut shell, it has been a enriching experience and a win-win decision to start this blog!
On this special occassion, I would like to share the recipe of 'Black Forest Cake'. I am sharing it from my drafts as I had saved it for this day :-).
I have refered this recipe from Nita Mehta's Book and I am satisfied with the results. Lets check the recipe now. First we have to prepare a ‘Rich Eggless Chocolate Cake’. We will need:
½ tin condensed milk.
½ cup milk.
1 cup flour.
¼ cup powdered sugar.
¼ cup cocoa powder.
½ cup oil.
1 tsp baking powder.
½ tsp soda bicarbonate.
1 tsp vanilla essence.
1. Grease a swiss roll baking tin and dust it nicely with flour. Preheat the oven at 175 C for 10-15 minutes.
2. Sieve flour, cocoa, baking powder and soda bi-carb together. Keep aside.
3. Beat oil, sugar and essence till well mixed. Add condensed milk and milk. Beat well till well incorporated.
4. To this mixture add flour mixture in 2-3 batches, mixing well all the time. Beat well for 4-5 minutes till the mixture is light and fluffy and of a soft dropping consistency. Add a few spoons of milk if needed.
5. Transfer the cake mixture to the prepare tin. Level it.
6. Bake it at 175 C for 15-20 minutes. If the same cake is prepared in a small square or round tin it will take around 35-40 minutes to bake it.
7. Insert a clean knife in the middle of the cake to check if it is done. If it comes out clean, switch off the oven and take the cake out. Remove from tin after 10-15 minutes, by inverting on the wire rack.
I was in a hurry to take it out of the tin. I didnot wait for more than 5 minutes.. Thats evident from the picture!
For the black forest cake we will need.
1 chocolate cake (From above)
150 gm glazed cherries.
1 tbsp rum (Gives the flavour, I encourage to use it or use rum essence).
2-3 tbsp sugar.
¼ cup water.
50 gm dark chocolate flakes.
250 gm double cream- chilled.
4 tbsp sugar or to taste.
1. Cut the sheet of chocolate cake into 2 equal halves. Slice off thin slices from the sides. Place one half upside down on a flat plate.
2. Beat cream with sugar till the cream is thick and stands soft peaks. Keep it in the freeze till needed.
3. Dissolve sugar in water with rum. Thinly slice the cherries keeping aside 5-6 for decoration.
4. When the cake is completely cooled down, brush the sugar and rum syrup generously over the cake. The cake will soak it and will be moist. Spread a layer of cream over it evenly. Now spread a thin layer of sliced cherries.
5. Place the other half of the cake. Brush with syrup generously. Cover the whole of the cake with cream icing evenly.
6. Cover the cake sides with chocolate flakes. Decorate the top with chocolate flakes and cherries as desired.
7. Keep the cake in the freeze and take it out 15 minutes before serving.
Sending it off to Champa's Bake Off!